Learning and Development
We recognise that effective training and development offers benefits to the employee and the organisation as a whole, which ultimately contributes to the achievement of our objectives.
We are committed to providing all employees with learning and development opportunities that are appropriate to their personal needs and those of the organisation. Involving yourself in ongoing learning throughout your career is an essential part of the job, and one that will be supported by your manager.
- higher standards of work performance;
- greater understanding and appreciation of factors affecting work performance;
- sharing of ideas and dissemination of good practice;
- effective management and implementation of change;
- encouragement of team spirit;
- increased motivation and job satisfaction for the individual; and
- greater understanding of our business.
We aim to ensure that:
- our stated objectives are met;
- each member of staff understands what his or her work role involves;
- each person is developed to enable them to achieve their work objectives;
- staff are prepared and equipped to deal with changes within the organisation;
- each individual is encouraged to develop his or her potential, both personally and professionally; and
- life-long learning is supported and encouraged for all staff.
In acknowledgement of people's different learning styles and preferences we offer a range of learning and development opportunities including:
We offer a range of opportunities for apprenticeships. More information on apprenticeships can be found in this guide. Government Apprenticeships Guide
All of our new starters receive an induction to provide an overview of how the council functions, working practices, Health and Safety Equality and Diversity and fire and safety procedures.
Qualifications/National Vocational Qualifications (NVQ's)
Depending on your role within the organisation, you may need to study for further qualifications and you may undertake day or block release to pursue a relevant course. We also encourage employees to work for NVQ's that can be acquired in the workplace.
Skills Updates/New Technology
There may be opportunities to attend short courses to update your skills, particularly in I.T.
Management and Supervisory Training
Through this training we aim to develop the skills required by managers and supervisors, for example, communication skills, problem solving skills and team building. This may be delivered through external courses or developed in house.
Professional and Occupational Updating
If you are a member of a professional body or you need to keep up to date with new developments and legislation in a particular field, you will be encouraged to fulfil your Continuous Professional Development (CPD) requirements.
No matter where you start within the Council, you'll be given the tools you need to build a promising career.
Read case studies from staff outlining how investment in their learning and development has led to successful career progression